Tuesday, January 12, 2010

PERSONAL TRAINERS AKA "WONDERFUL"

I had a complimentary session with the personal trainer last night and was amazed at the difference in my workout. I had been doing everything wrong. Now I know how to get the most from my workout.

Error #1 -- We were doing our cardio for about 15-20 minutes and then moving on to the weight machines. I couldn't understand why I got tired so fast. But my trainer taught me that you spend most of your energy in your aerobic workout and you have nothing left for the weights. Now, I do a seven minute warm up on the bike or treadmill and then go to the weight machine. After your weight session you could go back to the aerobics workout, but that wasn't going to happen for me, at least not yet. I could barely carry myself out to the car.

We focused a lower body workout since thats what I requested for the first session. It is my priority target area. After the 7 min. warm up, I did squats. Wow, what a hard exercise that is. Normally she would have made me do 2 or 3 sets of 10, but after the first set my legs were starting to cramp (I'm such a wimp), so we moved on to lunges, 2 sets of 10. Ouch!

From there we rotated to a variety of weight machines designed to work different parts of the leg. I was surprised that we used relatively light weights. This concerned me until I got to the end of my first rep and I fully understood the wisdom of starting light. I had to reach deep down for the strength and energy to make that last rep or two, and thats as it should be. I broke a sweat and huffed for air. All signs of a good workout.

The abs machines were as much fun as the leg machines. I loved how I felt afterwards, even though it was really hard at the time. This morning I feel tight and firm, but not really sore. Certainly not a lactic acid kind of sore. Thats another good sign. You shouldn't feel a lactic acid burn.

Today I'll stretch a couple of times and tonight I'll just do some upper body weights and an aerobic workout. I wasn't going to sign up for a personal trainer, but after seeing the results of this first workout, I think it would be well worth the money. At least for a while. I'll let you know what I decide.

3 comments:

Deanna Willey said...

Sounds great. I'm glad it was a good experience and that you learned some things. Keep up the good work and you'll be skinnier than me by the sisters weekend.

I've just been doing the aerobics. I know you're supposed to do both, but if I get off the treadmill I won't get back on. I got tired of doing what seemed like 2 complete workouts each day. We'll I guess it wasn't each day, I did them every other day, so I guess it's not as bad as I was remembering. I'll think about changing again, but I can tell it probably won't be soon. I just don't want to. I know it's stupid, but that's the reason.

Deanna Willey said...

you haven't signed up as a follower. I guess I really don't need it since you're the only one that reads it.

Anonymous said...

I am signed up as a follower, thats how I'm able to view your blog.

Post a Comment