In a world full of miscommunications we're bound to get confused.
Have you ever told a hair dresser you were trying to grow your hair long, only to walk out of the beauty parlor with a short haircut? Or told yourself you looked good, only to see your reflection in a mall mirror and not recognize the fat lady in the distance? Have you ever paid a compliment to someone, only to find out they took it as a criticism? All these miscommunications are a fact of life, and certainly things we can and should try to avoid, but the miscommunication I am most anxious to clear up is the way I communicate with myself.
I tell myself I'm doing okay with my eating, only to look at my food diary and realize my fat and carb count are way too high and my protein content is too low.
I tell myself I'll do better tomorrow, only to find out tomorrow brings a celebration of some sort and my beginning gets put off another day, and then when that day comes, there is something else waiting to destroy me.
I tell myself, this is the year I'm going to lose this weight...I join a gym, get a personal trainer, and a workout buddy, only to step on the scale and find I've gained another 3 pounds. Why? Because I can't seem to tell myself to stop eating the wrong foods, stop eating so much of them, and get busy focusing on something greater than myself.
I can't convince myself that I'll ever lose this weight, or that when I do, I won't sag and look worse than I did when I was fat.
I can't stop telling myself I'll start tomorrow, and start telling myself "NO" instead.
I can't stop telling myself that I've been trying to do this for over twenty years and if I couldn't make it happen in all that time, what makes me think its going to happen now?
I can't stop telling myself I'm a failure, or start telling myself I'm beautiful, whatever my weight is.
I simply must master my ability to communicate with myself. Is there a doctor in the house?
Thursday, February 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I hear you!!! That is my biggest struggle as well. The only answer I have on that one is to do positive self talk. It's also the only advise I've ever heard to fix that too.
And when you start, DON'T tell yourself that you are lying to yourself! That's what I was doing.
I had to get my p-blessing out and make a list of all the qualities that Heavenly Father said I had and print them out, but here's the catch...you have to retype the "you" as "I." It makes a big difference.
Instead of typing out "You are a daughter of God." you type out "I am a daughter of God." I call this my "I AM" list.
That's what I use for self talk. That way I can't even tell myself that I'm lying because God is the one that said that about me and He doesn't lie.
The problem is, God didn't have a whole lot of nice things to say about me. The only blessing more boring than mine is Sierra's. Poor thing. Luckily, her gifts are obvious and plentiful. Me? Not so much. See, there I go again.
I am a valiant daughter of God.
I come from the royal lineage of Ephraim, a noble heritage.
I have been called to be a mother in Zion.
I am sealed to a choice Son of God.
I am blessed with gifts of the Spirit; especially the gifts of love and compassion and great patience and understanding.
I will witness many of the signs of the second coming of Jesus Christ and will know of their purpose at a time when other's hearts fail them.
I will be strong and full of love.
I will have courage and faith and joy.
I will overcome the temptations of the world and the evils of Satan.
I will work with the youth of Zion and they will call my name blessed.
This sounds pretty good to me. Here is an experiment for you. Make a list of the qualities that you think you have and then compare it to the list that God says you have.
I really like how you changed tour blog format, I have always like pictures from the 50's era particularly the one you chose.
Post a Comment