Monday, November 16, 2009

THE WISDOM OF AGE

I've said it before. I do better when I don't focus on my weight.

Yesterday I was reading through some old journals and found an entry in 1992 after a Priesthood blessing in which I was told to stop focusing on my weight and concentrate on serving others. At the time I had just been called as extraction director in my ward and I really did enjoy getting lost in that service. I focused less on the fact that I was fat, and subsequently, ate less, and lost small amounts of weight. Unfortunately, I kept forgetting this good counsel and periodically became narcissistic, driving myself crazy with my poor self image.

Now that I've developed 20/20 hindsight, I see the wisdom in this counsel. It goes back to what I said a few weeks ago. Anxiously engaged is the key. Thats not to say that I don't have to exercise and eat right. But balance in all things is better than a three legged stool with one leg longer than the others.

1 comments:

Deanna Willey said...

Excellent!

Post a Comment