Thursday, February 11, 2010

WHERE DOES IT COME FROM?

What is it that sparks a fire deep inside a person enabling them to find that special feeling, that motivation, that super power to push forward when every fiber of their being just wants to stay where they are, planted deep in the soil of a comfort zone they spent years cultivating?

What is it that drives a tired mother to go to the gym after a long day of diapers and feedings and cleaning up scattered cheerios?

What is it that keeps me going after wiping up the artistic finger painting my granddaughter made with yogurt all over the dining room table, when all I want to do is curl up with a good book?

Is there a super power?  A divine sprinkling of determination from heaven?  Because I gotta be honest, most days I'd rather read than exercise.  There are days I'd like to chuck common sense out the window and have pepperoni on my pizza instead of veggies.  There are days I'd like to use butter to fry my burrito instead of nuking it in the microwave, and there are days when thats exactly what I do...and then I pay for it with my hips, or my thighs, or some other part of my body prone to swelling.

But then there are days when my willpower seems almost godlike.  When I can (provided all the planets are in alignment) choose a cold salad on a rainy day or brave the freezing temperatures to pick up a healthy meal for my family, or walk right past the theater snack bar without regret.

Today is not that day and my question rings loudly, unanswered and begging for resolve.  Where does intestinal fortitude really come from?  Is it genetics?  Practice?  Habit?  Personality?  Environment?  God?  Or perchance a brilliant combination of them all?  A secret combination thats almost impossible to crack unless you have the right mathematical equation?  If so, I'm doomed, for I was never very good at math.  I was never good at developing difficult habits.  My genetics don't seem to be any help at all.  My environment is less than conducive to a healthy lifestyle, and my personality is a bit too narcissistic to grasp the concept of sacrifice.  It seems the only fraction of the equation I can muster is the divine.  Now the question is, will it be enough?  Do miracles really happen?

2 comments:

Deanna Willey said...

If I knew the answer to that question I never would have gotten fat in the first place. Every human being on the planet that's trying to lose 5 pounds or more is wondering the same thing. You are not alone. If you ever do find the answer to that you will be a billionaire, but you have to tell me for free. :)

Some days eating right and exercise are so easy and other days (more often than not) it's a real struggle. I wish it was the other way around.

L.C. Lee said...

HERE! HERE!

Post a Comment